Sunday, September 07, 2008

The good with the bad



We got a nice surprise a few weeks ago when my Daughter Angela's boyfriend Ernest called and asked if he could marry her. They've been living and working in Tucson for a few years now since graduating college and I sometimes would tease them about tying the knot, so this was a happy moment for me. A week or so later Angela got a new job offer with a 40% pay increase so she gave her two weeks notice. Then they bought a new dog. Talk about changing a bunch of stuff in your life all at once! Anyway, we're both so happy for them and hope to get by for a visit in '09.

To balance out all that good karma the bicycle gods decided this week it had been too many years since I've gotten a close up look at the asphalt. On Thursday I was coasting into a corner and slipped on a wet piece of crosswalk paint. Not much damage besides a few strawberries and a sore hip. Then yesterday about 60 miles into our North shore ride I rode over a rough stretch of road in front of sunset beach and heard a loud crack, followed by my handlebars separating from my bike. I crashed pretty spectacularly according to my friend who was behind me and busted myself up pretty good. The carbon fiber fork tube just sheared off after taking 7 years of abuse. So I'm taking a couple days off from the IM training. Everything is still on track for October 11th though. I heard a good quote once but I don't remember the author. "It's not whether you will have adversity in your life, because you will. It's how you deal with it that counts." I dealt with it by ordering a bunch of new parts to get the old Litespeed up and running again.
On a totally unrelated note. Marianne wanted all to know that our orphan kitty "Cali" is becoming really tame and fitting in well around here.
posted by Marianne and Bryant at 12:25 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Buz said...

Good for them and nice move w/ the 40% increase.

Glad to hear you’re OK. I took a class (Aircraft Accident Investigation) a while back and they mentioned that carbon can show no signs of wear but fail at any time. And there are no tests or inspections that help either. Maybe its time for a new one???? I know someone who showed me a really nice Cervelo a while back

9/08/2008 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, what a roller coaster you took us on. Good, bad, good! Glad to here you might come back to the desert soon. Get a new Madone, they are amazing, I did the group ride for the first time on it and I am levels ahead. It is about the bike:) Glad your OK. Cali has a rough life! We miss you guys.

Spring

9/09/2008 9:55 AM  
Blogger Chris and Natalie said...

Congrats on the future addition to your family. Next thing you know, you'll be a grandpa.

9/10/2008 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found a few weeks back that I could end up in your same situation. The R3 fork has been recalled due to the structural design that may cause the fork to crack. Ouch.

Glad your okay. Good luck continuing with your IM training.

9/12/2008 1:15 PM  
Blogger Jebediah said...

Ouch! Glad you're OK. Best of luck at Ironman.

9/22/2008 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home