Wednesday, October 10, 2007

" LOST "


After we got home from the race Sunday afternoon I pretty much slept until 4:30 am Monday morning when I woke up and started my new Job! That's right, J-O-B. I've been saying that I would give myself a year after retirement until I started anything and this October time was up. So I decided to be a television actor.....

I had been corresponding on e mail with a casting director for the television show "Lost" which is filmed here on Oahu the week before and landed a gig as an extra for some scenes in the upcoming season. The shoot was downtown Honolulu in the YWCA building. We checked in, went through wardrobe, hair and makeup for women, then they drove us to the catering tent for breakfast across the street from the shoot. It was a courtroom scene and extras were needed for the jury and gallery. It was a blast watching what goes on behind the scenes and the crew and cast were very friendly to all of us lowly extras. The two stars of the show that were on set Monday and Tuesday were Evangeline Lilly who plays Kate and Matthew Fox who plays Jack Shephard. Looking on the Internet fan sites it seems a lot of people worship these actors and this show. I can see how actors lose sense of the real world sometimes. Everyone wants a piece of them. A little creepy. I will be watching the show this season though, ha!
I also met many cool people who have been doing extra work here on Oahu for years on shows and movies like Magnum PI, Thorn Birds, North Shore, Godzilla, and Jerry Seinfeld AMEX commercials. This might be my new calling. I figured the shooting would be repetitious but I didn't know how bad it gets. Over and over, different camera angles, different lighting, different inflections for the lines. On Monday we shot one 30 second scene about 25 times in 4-5 hours. But oh man do they feed you well on set. Catered Breakfast, lunch and snacks all day. So we worked 12 hours on Monday and about nine on Tuesday. I almost landed the part as the sheriff who stands by the door when the original guy couldn't make it on Tuesday. The extras wrangler brought me and one other younger guy to the director to choose which one of us looked the most like the original. It wasn't me. So if your watching the scene were Kate is on trial, pay attention to the sheriff. When the camera cuts back, it's a different guy. I'm second and third row center in the gallery in the suit and tie. Fun stuff.

Labels: , ,

posted by Marianne and Bryant at 3:09 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Buz said...

Well that would explain why you haven't been able to email us lowly nobody's back yet! Since you have gone hollywood I guess you have forgotten the small people! We were just trying to get Jesse and Kristy's phone number because buz lost it and my cousin is comming this weekend so I thought that it would be nice for her to bring it to us! Thanks Hollywood Hafler!
Kristine

10/10/2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Chris and Natalie said...

Nice call Kristine...Hollywood Hafler.

Bryant, it sounds like you're having a good time with your new acting gig. I wonder what Edwin would think about it. I'm sure he'd have some Brokeback Mountain joke...

Chris

10/11/2007 8:50 AM  
Blogger Eric and Rose said...

Once again, some guys really know how to retire.

10/23/2007 3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home