Sunday, October 19, 2008

The race











Saturday morning started with an 0430 wake up call. I had my standard egg sandwich and coffee at the condo, then off to race central for body marking. The start of the swim is always one of the coolest parts of the race. Your treading water for 15 minutes with 1800 other athletes who have been busting their ass to get ready just like you. The hawaiian drums are beating, lot's of tension in the air, then the cannon fires, and your off. Lots of kicking, bumping, and shoving.
I was hoping for a slightly improved swim time since I wore a speedsuit for the first time but at the 1.2 mile mark I was at 35 minutes so I knew I was on pace for my standard non wetsuit time of an hour and ten minutes. Transition onto the bike went smooth, first 20 miles fairly fast with a slight tailwind, then side gusts and hot, humid headwinds for the next 90 miles. Again I wasn't thrilled with my bike split but once I started running I knew it was going to be a good day. I passed hundreds of people including most that I had seen blow by me on the bike which felt good. I finished in 10:24 with a 3:26 marathon for 496 overall, which is the highest I've ever placed there. It's always nice when a plan comes together. Here are all the split times and details

Labels: , , ,

posted by Marianne and Bryant at 8:51 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home